Friday 16 October 2015

Which Exit to take and Whom to depend on ?.


An Empty Freeway

























Long Time ago, when I was still new to Melbourne, I went to Tullamarine Airport to drop my friend.I don't know the route but, he was guiding me and reached Airport without much problem.He gave me ample instructions of going back with details like, which exit to take etc.But, you know when you are new, everything looks same and you get jumbled up with the names of the road.Becuase, I was smart (I thought so), I was not carrying anything like a Navigator or a Melway.And, it was a pre Smartphone era.So before starting from the Airport, I called one of my friend to ask for directions.It was a Saturday morning and he had a big night the day before.So, he picked up the phone and said, OK call me after 5 minutes when you are on the road. So I started off and after five mins, I called him and it went to his voice mail. Frantically, I tried again and again with no luck. Here, I am on the Freeway trying to figure out, which exit to take and avoid the Tollway and don’t know which exit to take. Somehow, I took one of the exits, the Bell street and managed to reach
home safely without paying Toll charges. After couple of hours, I got a call back from my friend and the first thing he asked me was, where are you.Apparently, he got a dream that I was driving on Hume Highway, on way to Sydney and looking for an exit. We both had a good laugh and he is still a good friend.The takeaway from this incident is that, in life you have to be careful about depending on people in making crucial decisions and choices.This is a simple incident but, in life we do come across many situations like this.For example, I know an elderly person, one of my relatives.He is scared of death and never wants to be alone.So, always wants to be
surrounded by some of the family members like his wife, children etc. But, really when the time comes, even though one is surrounded by all the people whom we love, who can save us from the imminent death.? When the time comes,no one can save others.
In Srimad Bhagavatam it is said,
dehapatya-kalatradisv
atma-sainyesv asatsv api
tesam pramatto nidhanam
pasyann api na pasyat
Translation: "Persons devoid of atma-tattva do not inquire into the problems of life, being too attached to the fallible soldiers like the body, children and wife, etc. Although sufficiently experienced, still, they do not see their inevitable destruction."
Deha - Body, apatrya - children, Kalatra - wife. Sukadeva Gosvami is telling Pariksit Maharaja that "These things will not give you protection."(Bhagavatam 2.1.4)

Further on, in the next verse he advises,
tasmad bharata sarvatma
bhagavan isvaro harih
srotavyah kirtitavyas ca
smartavyas cecchatabhayam
Translation: O descendant of King Bharata, one who desires to be free from all miseries must hear about, glorify and also remember the Personality of Godhead, who is the Supersoul, the controller and the savior from all miseries.   (Bhagavatam 2.1.5)

No comments:

Post a Comment