Wednesday 9 May 2018

Children with Special Needs

Children with Special Needs


I would like to share this amazing experience of today morning. I was on my way to work  and as soon as I got into the tram and I noticed this young man who happens to be affected by downs syndrome. How do I know? because I studied science, worked in Medical field for few years, I know that they look different from facial features, eyes etc. Then, as though reading my mind and thoughts, he immediately looked at me and smiled beautifully, as if to acknowledge that what I am thinking is true, but that doesn’t bother him. I immediately felt guilty for staring at him. I started thinking to myself. Why did I look at him? Is it because, he is different and I am trying to find some fault? Much to my solace, I realized that the reason I looked at him was because, I was impressed by the poise and charm this young man is carrying, inspire of the disability. No one is perfect in this world. Even the beautiful full moon has spots on him. We need to ignore the spots and appreciate the warm moon light that we get from him. Imagine, someone looking at you in a different way. It takes a great courage to take it and then smile back. Few minutes passed and my stop to get down had come. I looked at Mr.Champion and sure enough he looked back. This time, I smiled at him internally saying him, well done mate, Keep up the good work. And he smiled back and really made my day.
Ultimately, everyone is a Soul and everyone is special. Everyone is having their baggage of past Karma and destiny. We need to acknowledge this fact, respect their difference in the way they learn. we need to encourage them in their growth physically, mentally and also spiritually.
This also reminds me of the son of a doctor that I knew and met few times long time ago. He had this similar problem but, what an amazing memory he had. Once I went to see the Doctor and he was there. He recognized me, remember my name, what dress I was wearing during my last visit and what date and time it was. It was so unique and special to have such a memory and he was so innocent and sweet. Sometimes makes me that, how good it is to have the heart and mind of a child forever.
Once I was listening to a speech from the CEO of a company and during conversation he casually said that, since is Dyslexic, he learns things different than common people. I was impressed with him because, he openly, proudly admits he is different. 
In the Bhagavad-gita Krishna 9.29 says,
samo 'ham sarva-bhutesu,na me dvesyo 'sti na priyah- I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all.
As Prabhupada says "Everyone is God's son. So how God can be partial to one son and, better than the other son? That is not possible. That is our mistake. We write: "We trust in God," but we make discrimination. If you trust in God, then you must be equally kind and merciful to all living entities".
P.S: Find and appreciate the good in everyone especially those kids with special needs. Understand they are special, to encourage and motivate to bring out the best in them and not just show pity (just like this young chap on the tram who is so confident and positive). Now, I look forward to meeting these special Souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment