Thursday 28 June 2018

The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change

Southbank at dusk, Melbourne
In this world, everything is changing every moment including ourselves. Companies, organisations talk of change and change management. We have practical examples of companies that failed because they didn't adopt new communications technology like, Kodak, Nokia, Xerox, DEC (The Digital Equipment Corp), Lucent etc.
Every moment, every day millions of cells are being created and destroyed within our body. And, the day we or our body stops changing, something happens to our body called as death. So, from the time we are born, up until death, the cells in our body would have died so many times and new ones born.
“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change -” ― Heraclitus.
Yet, despite so many changes one thing that does not change is the Soul or Atma which is the non- material, spiritual spark that can never change, never ages, cannot be cut by any weapon, moistened by water, burnt by fire etc. The science and nature of Soul is nicely explained in Bhagavad from verses 2.12 to 2.30. For example, in verse 2.20 Lord Krishna explains as below,
na jayate mriyate va kadacin
naya bhutva bhavita va na bhaya
ajo nityah sasvato yam purano
na hanyate hanyamane sarire
Translation: For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

It’s simple to understand this apparent paradox of changes to the body and Soul not changing is to see ourselves. I remember myself as a child playing and doing so many things that all kids you. Yet, when I look at my body, I don’t see the child body. It’s gone, changed. But, within the hearts of hearts, I know that I am the same person that existed so many years ago as a child. I may have picked up so many experiences, knowledge, became wise (or stupid) but, essentially it is the same me.
Again, a nice forward I received on Whatsapp.....
"A friend of mine turned into 40. I asked him what's changing? He sent me following lines.
Yes, I am changing.
After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children, my friends, now I have started loving myself.
Yes, I am changing.
I just realised that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.
Yes, I am changing.
I now stopped bargaining with vegetables & fruits vendors. After all, a few rupees more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.
Yes, I am changing.
I pay the taxi driver without waiting for the change. The extra money might bring a smile on his face. After all he is toiling much harder for a living than me
Yes, I am changing.
I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. After all, the story makes them walk down the memory lane & relive the past.
Yes, I am changing.
I've learnt not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. After all, the onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.
Yes, I am changing. 
I give compliments freely and generously. After all it's a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me.
Yes, I am changing.
I've learnt not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. After all, personality speaks louder than appearances.
Yes, I am changing.
I walk away from people who don't value me. After all, they might not know my worth, but I do.
Yes, I am changing.
I remain cool when someone plays dirty politics to outrun me in the rat race. After all, I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.
Yes, I am changing.
I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. After all, it's my emotions that make me human.
Yes, I am changing.
I have learnt that its better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. After all, my ego will keep me aloof whereas with relationships I will never be alone.
Yes, I am changing.
I've learnt to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last".
And, I would like to add this,
Yes, I am changing.
But, I have learnt that the inner core or actual me not changing. Only the layers that cover the real me are being added or removed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment