Monday 7 April 2014

Natures Friends

The other day, I took my toddler son out for walk and stopped near some flowering plant to let him observe the plants. He saw a butterfly, which was quite normal creamy white. But, he was so happy to see it, fluttering its wings. His face shone into a bright smile and eyes sparkled at it and wanted to catch it. He made few desperate attempts to catch it and was overjoyed to behold another glory of Mother Nature and gods amazing creation. Seeing his happiness and wonder at the elegant creature, plunged me into my own memories of childhood, where I used to be ardent Nature lover and would spend hours just roaming in the jungle and wilderness of Mother Nature.
A small Hill in my Village

Simple Villagers

Rice Harvest - the real wealth

A Well near my Grandfather's House used to be like this

A Banyan Tree with its Props



























As a child from the age of 10 or so, till 22, I used to visit my Grandfathers place for holidays. The residence is situated midst of 130 Acres of land, away from the village by 2 kilometres. The house itself was a farmhouse, built in an area of 2 acres surrounded by number of trees like, Neem,Mango, Guava, Berry, Custard apple and garden plants like Jasmine, Rose and Hibiscus. The highlight however was the great Banyan tree, overlooking the house. The tree which is quite old used to be massive with its prop roots going into the ground. Watching the numerous birds and squirrels was my most favourite hobby. Of course, during the night time, it was bit of a scary experience to walk under and look at the Banyan tree (while young) especially, after hearing all those rumours that Ghosts like to reside and live on Banyan trees and also, I read lot of stories where the Brahma Rakshasas live on Banyan trees etc.
We used to sleep outside in beds. I would sleep looking at the beautiful sky with Moon, Stars like the Seven Sages, Pole Star, and Milky Way. Sometimes, I would see a Meteorites dropping. I used think that, if only I would know where they fall, I can go and pick it up and put it into my pocket and it would be shining for ever. Morning, I would wake up by sounds of various birds chirping and some of the friendly dogs would peek into my bed sheet and licking and scratching my hands and feet.
My grandfather's house itself used to be like a mini Zoo, in the sense there used to be 5 to 6 dogs, couple of Cats, About 15 to 20 Pigeons, A single Peacock, ducks etc. My favourite pastime in the village was walking while watching the nature and habitat.
Morning Walk after breakfast: - within the residence would be a short one. I would brush my teeth and then have milk and would set out for a short walk within the compound of the house. I would go to various fruit yielding trees and pick up the fruits that are ripe and fell from the tree due to overnight winds. Then, I would keep roaming and walking in the garden and trees, till someone shouts for me to go and take bath. Then, I would go and have a quick shower and have my lunch.
Afternoon Walk around the fields:-
The 130 Acres agricultural fields all of which was not being cultivated used to have a dense growth of Acacia trees everywhere, thus giving a perfect forest setting. There also used to be number of neem, tamarind and other wild trees. This was the most exciting part and not a single day would be same. Everyday would be different, with its share of natures thrill and excitement.
For example, one day I would discover a bird’s nest with eggs or small nestlings or baby birds. Other day would be to see some fishes in the water canals running in the fields. My most favourite birds nest was that of a Beaver which is a brilliant piece of work and craftsmanship. What is more interesting is that every time, the birds want to lay eggs, they build new nest and there is no concept of reusing the existing nest. I guess, these birds go on migration and would not live year long at a single place. There used to be a plenty of Bird watching and birds to see like, Blue Jays, Magpies, Owls, King Fisher, Wood pecker and wild animals like, Rabbits, Mongooses, fascinating reptiles like Chameleons etc.I would walk for hours and sometimes, I would just climb a tree like Neem or tamarind tree and would silently watch the surrounds. Sometimes, there is thrill as well because, I would spot some snakes and would cautiously move away from them. But, I never had any problem or issues with any birds or animals including snakes. Only, once I was bitten by a scorpion. I think, I must have put my hand into its house or did something nasty. Also, whenever I go out, at least one of the dogs would follow me and would lead the way running about 5 meters ahead of me. Its is amazing to see that they have so much of intuition or Psychic abilities to know which way, I would walk or go and they would lead the way. Also, I would always carry a stick to move any bushes or tree branches that come in front of me while walking and also I would hit the ground while I am walking, so that snakes or anything else would actually move away from the way because of the vibrations.


Also, I would play cricket or something with my cousins who would also be there (School Holidays).Sometimes we would all go together to near by stream or Wells for swimming. This is how my childhood was passed and I feel sorry that I am not able to give the same type of atmosphere or surrounds for my sons to enjoy and grow up. But, things have changed and times have changed and these days’ kids play and watch Laptops, Tablets and Mobiles and they think, this is what the whole world is. What a pity. Every child should be exposed and made aware of the amazing and wonderful nature. And, that is what I am trying to do to my kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment