Thursday 30 January 2014

A Money plant that gives something more than money


 This is the Money plant that I got from a friend about two months ago.I learnt that this plant has multiple names like, centipede tongavine, devil's ivy, golden pothos, hunter's robe, ivy arum, money plant, silver vine, Solomon Islands ivy and taro vine etc.Anyway, I am used to calling this a money plant. There is a bit of story to this plant. One day, I wanted to grow this on my desk at work because I am a nature lover and love to look at something that is green and alive. While thinking about this, I bumped into one of my work colleagues and casually mentioned to that I would like to have one of these plants. Within, 15 mins he was at my desk with a twig in a plastic can filled with water. I actually, noticed that he took all the pains of cutting the top portion of a plastic milk bottle. I was quite touched by this act of friendship and thanked him profusely. Then, within 2 weeks of acquiring the plant, I had to go on a holiday to india.Then, I requested one more of my friend to look after my plant in my absence. He only needs the water to be changed twice a week and that all. I was glad that she agreed to my request. After I came back from my holiday trip, when I went to collect my plant, I was over joyed to see the healthy condition of the plant. It has some extra leaves and numerous roots in the water.And, I have added some sea shells that I collected from the beach near my house.

This Money plant reminds me three things,

Firstly, to be thankful to the God who gave me good friends like these throughout my life.
Secondly, to be thankful to the two friends who helped me when it was needed. One who took all the trouble to get the plant for me and other who took care of the plant in my absence.
Thirdly, it gives something more than money and keeps reminding me, a beautiful verse which talks about the special seed of Creeper of devotional service –Bhakti Lata Bija from Sri Caitanya Caritamrita Madhya Chapter 19: Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu Instructs Srila Rupa Gosvami, Verse 151 – Translation and Purports by His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupad.
                            Brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva
                            guru-krishna-prasade paya bhakti-lata-bija

SYNONYMS
brahmanda bhramite -- wandering in this universe; kona -- some; bhagyavan -- most fortunate; jiva -- living being; guru -- of the spiritual master; krishna -- of Krishna; prasade -- by the mercy; paya -- gets; bhakti-lata -- of the creeper of devotional service; bija -- the seed.

TRANSLATION
"According to their karma, all living entities are wandering throughout the entire universe. Some of them are being elevated to the upper planetary systems, and some are going down into the lower planetary systems. Out of many millions of wandering living entities, one who is very fortunate gets an opportunity to associate with a bona fide spiritual master by the grace of Krishna. By the mercy of both Krishna and the spiritual master, such a person receives the seed of the creeper of devotional service.

PURPORT
When we speak of brahmanda, we refer to the whole universe, or to the cluster of many millions of universes. In all the universes there are innumerable planets, and there are innumerable living entities upon those planets -- in the air, on land and in the water. There are millions and trillions of living entities everywhere, and they are engaged by maya in suffering and enjoying the results of their fruitive activity, life after life. This is the position of the materially conditioned living entities. Out of many of these living entities, one who is actually fortunate (bhagyavan) comes in contact with a bona fide spiritual master by Krishna's mercy.
Krishna is situated in everyone's heart, and if one desires something, Krishna fulfills one's desire. If the living entity by chance or fortune comes in contact with the Krishna consciousness movement and wishes to associate with that movement, Krishna, who is situated in everyone's heart, gives him the chance to meet a bona fide spiritual master. This is called guru-krishna-prasada. Krishna is prepared to bestow His mercy upon all living entities, and as soon as a living entity desires the Lord's mercy, the Lord immediately gives him an opportunity to meet a bona fide spiritual master. Such a fortunate person is fortified by both Krishna and the spiritual master. He is helped from within by Krishna and from without by the spiritual master. Both are prepared to help the sincere living being become free from material bondage.
How one can become this fortunate can be seen in the life of Srila Narada Muni. In his previous life he was born of a maidservant. Although he was not born into a prestigious position, his mother was fortunately engaged in rendering service to some Vaishnavas. When these Vaishnavas were resting during the Caturmasya period, the boy Narada took the opportunity to engage in their service. Taking compassion upon the boy, the Vaishnavas offered him the remnants of their food. By serving these Vaishnavas and obeying their orders, the boy became the object of their sympathy, and by the Vaishnavas' unknown mercy, he gradually became a pure devotee. In the next life he was Narada Muni, the most exalted of Vaishnavas and the most important guru and acarya of Vaishnavas.
Following in the footsteps of Narada Muni, this Krishna consciousness movement is rendering service to humanity by giving everyone a chance to come in contact with Krishna. If one is fortunate, he becomes intimately related with this movement. Then, by the grace of Krishna, one's life becomes successful. Everyone has dormant krishna-bhakti -- love for Krishna -- and in the association of good devotees, that love is revealed. As stated in the Caitanya-caritamrita (Madhya 22.107):
nitya-siddha-krishna-prema 'sadhya' kabhu naya
sravanadi-suddha-citte karaye udaya


Dormant devotional service to Krishna is within everyone. Simply by associating with devotees, hearing their good instructions and chanting the Hare Krishna mantra, dormant love for Krishna is awakened. In this way one acquires the seed of devotional service. Guru-krishna-prasade paya bhakti-lata-bija.

No comments:

Post a Comment